It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fungus in Mulch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:45 pm 

I have a new home here in Delaware and a new yard, both now one year old. Suddenly this year, I see pudding like yellow slimey stuff in my mulch. Also, I find brown powdery stuff, like powdered chocolate in the mulch areas only, as well. The affected areas are on the south side and they are getting plenty of sun in an "all sun" area. We are scheduled to re-mulch, 45 scoops in two weeks, but how do I get rid of the diseased areas prior to getting the fresh mulch? I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:32 pm 

I too have been seeing this same yellow pudding growth (after it dries it turns into the powdered chocolate you spoke of) showing up on my mulched beds this year. It wasn't a present last year. What I've done is to scrape off the goo covered mulch and put down some corn meal afterwards. It doesn't appear that the corn meal is actually doing anything since I've had it crop back up in a few of the same spots. Would be interested in finding out a reliable preventative measure if there is one. With all the rain we've been getting here in North Texas lately I've been seeing this stuff more and more and it's starting to affect/kill some of my snapdragons! :x

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:51 am 

What you described is commonly called dog barf fungus, for obvious reasons. It is absolutely harmless to plants but sure is ugly! It is also relatively short lived. By the time you get corn meal onto it, it will likely die out anyway. You can try corn meal (0.2 pounds per 10 square feet) or baking soda (1 tsp per gallon of water) and see what happens.