It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:57 am 

Hi -

I live N. of McKinney in Collin County and I grow my own tobacco.

I'm interested in using my tobacco plant stalks and other parts that I don't harvest to make natural pesticides to control bugs. I'd also like to help people who want to grow their own tobacco.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:48 pm 

Hey Bob,how diffucult is it to grow your own tobacco organically?,how many plants are you growing,and is it cheaper than buying tobacco in the store,I had a friend try it one year and his plant only grew to about 2 feet and then died.Please keep us informed thru this site on how your plants are doing.
Thanks Dale,Austin,Tx. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:01 pm 

Hi --

Good to hear from someone at this forum. If anyone has questions about growing tobacco, obtaining seeds or drying/curing I'll be glad to help you out!

Tobacco is grown much like tomatoes and it's time to start your plants from seed soon. We're planting this week up here in N. Central Texas, Dale, so you should consider starting your plants soon.

Tobacco is in the nightshade family and is grown much like tomatoes. Everything you do organically to help tomatoes will help tobacco. The main difference is that you are going for the leaves and not the fruit. Start the seeds indoors 5-6 weeks before your last average frost, then grow them inside to 4-6 inches tall and transplant out when frost isn't expected any more.

Tobacco will use a considerable amount of nitrogen early in the season, but you want to starve the plants about the last 2 months of their 5 to 5-1/2 month growing cycle so that the leaf changes color and loses all the green after drying.

Common pests are the tobacco/tomato hornworm and other caterpillers which can be controlled with bT organically, or even picked off (I look for the moth eggs under the leaves and wipe them off). Aphids can be a problem and Safer Insecticidal Soap can help control them.

I don't know what your friend did to kill his plants, but overwatering is possible. Tobacco likes water but likes well-drained soils and should not be drowned. It's really a "weed"! Too much care is far worse than a little neglect.

I hope that helps, I have a lot more info in my head and written out that I can send you if you like. Just e-mail me!

Bob
Weston, Texas
GYOtobacco@yahoo.com