It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Crepe Myrtle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 am 

you may want to post this in the Trees forum.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject: Re: Crepe Myrtle
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:29 pm 

There's a row of ancient crepe myrtles on an Erath County ranch that receive no irrigation other than what nature provides. They don't bloom well and have been unattended for probably 20 years. Anyway, I pruned one by thinning it out (removing competing canes, dead canes, etc), and it bloomed 3x as well as the others that were left untouched.

Sure, you can take it back to ground level, but that's a drastic measure. I'd first try removing as many canes as possible. I try to train crepe myrtles to have 3, 5, or 7 canes. These had dozens upon dozens of canes each, so I thinned it down into the teens. See if that works before you take it to ground level.

You'll also want to try nourishing the soil and watering it. Those 2 items should bring it back if coupled with some judicial pruning.

Also, I noticed that you posted this in January. Pruning trees in January is smart, but that doesn't necessarily apply to crepe myrtles. They'll actually experience more winter die-back if you prune them in winter than if you wait until spring. It exposes their wood to the elements. They're not as hardy as trees. Just something I've learned by mistake although I'm unsure if there's any authority that backs up my claim.