It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:40 pm 

welcome! Digging in dirt is one of the best medicines I know of for aches and pains...and gardening is a good way to keep well..I am jealous of your acreage. I used to live on a farm in Johnson County, and I miss having all that dirt to play in. I loved seeing the pictures of your Good Thoughts Farm!

Post subject: More about me
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:58 pm 

More About Me

As a child I was a nomad due to my fathers vocation (he was a distribution lineman and later a manager of REA construction). I lived in 42 towns and attended 26 schools before I was 13. I graduated from Austin High School in Austin Texas back when it was the only high school in town and the town itself only had a population of 80,000. I got my bachelors degree from the University of Texas at Austin (in biological sciences) and much later picked up a Masters Degree in Business from Pepperdine University . I taught school for two years in San Saba High School where I was the only science teacher. I worked most of my working life for an electronic firm in the Dallas Area and progressed from electronic technician to Vice President in that company over a thirty year period. My work at that company required much travel—including all fifty of the United States and 62 foreign companies. I had married and had four children---all of whom are still living as is my ex-wife from whom I am divorced some 30 years ago. After retirement in 1980 I bought a fifteen acre farm on the banks of the Brazos in Parker County and named the farm Benpensa. I was called back to work by the CEO of another electronic firm that I knew well and worked four years there—also traveling extensively in this job—especially in Europe. Finally in 1991 I retired for sure and have been living on Benpensa Farm ever since.

I was very active in gardening and fruit growing here for several years. My second year at the farm I canned 635 jars of this and that from the garden and orchards. A decline in my health cut that activity for a while but I am now back up on my feet with an insulin needle in one pocket and my pacemaker/defibrillator in my chest. I have to take it in short periods but it is wonderful to be back in the gardening bit again and watching trees grow.

My youngest son is living with me now and he watches me like a hawk and does most of the actual work leaving me to piddle around and pontificate about the gardens of my youth.

I am a faithful advocate of Howard Garrett and his program and listen to little else on Saturdays.

So that is a bit about me.