It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 am 

This rather rude question/comment came in to info@dirtdoctor.com yesterday. I was going to respond today but I have a better idea. I'm going to let you guys respond. You may agree with him. Whether you do or not - shoot! You can be as rough as you want, just keep it clean.

Name: Anthony
City: Dallas
State: TEXAS

Subject: Organic living

Comments:
I am curious if you really believe what you are
saying on the radio. Everything you say,
everything, sounds like total BS to me and
everything I've been taught at A&M. Question,
did you vote for Obama? If so that would explain
it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm 

What did he major in at a&m? The custodial arts? He even had to use an Obama reference to solidify his point. I bet he was the top toilet cleaner in his class.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:33 pm 

Don't feed the trolls. They're not worth bothering with, and anything you say will encourage them to come back and be more obnoxious. That's how they get their jollies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:20 pm 

Do I believe? I first heard of this organic gardening thing quite by accident. I purchased a house with a gravel yard as is popular among a lot of folks that don't like to mow. I removed the gravel. Underneath the gravel was 3 layers of heavy plastic. After 13-years of heavy gravel, no water, and no air, the ground was compacted extremely hard. Note that the soil content is heavy clay and lime. After removing the gravel, the ground was about 6" below curb level. I took a sharpshooter to it to dig a hole, and the shovel was more like a pogo stick than a shovel. I could break ground with a pick, but that was about it. I had heard there was a gardening show on the radio in the mornings on the weekends. So I called the "expert" to see what kind of topsoil I should get to fill in the yard up to the curb. I was surprised to hear: add a half-inch of compost, put down some organic fertilizer and molasses, spray some Medina Plus, give it a little water, and repeat the Medina application in about 6-weeks. Now understand that when someone offers me a solution that involves something they sell, my cardiologist begins to get concerned about my salt intake. So I used the technique on about 3/4ths of the front yard, and on the remaining portion I used only the compost. In less than 8-weeks, the soil level was back up to the curb. There was about 4 inches of very nice soil on top. Now 3 years later, I have been following the organic method, and the soil is tremendous. You cannot dig a shovel full of dirt and not come up with earthworms. The fire ants don't every build up very big mounds and seem to move on every time it rains. My plants are largely disease free, and my food is much better than the grocery store offers. Add to that I have no concerns about my grandkids or dogs (grandogs too), playing in my yard because there is no noxious garbage spread on the land. It's clean (except for the dirt). You asked if Mr. Garrett voted for Obama. Let me ask you this. How much money does Texas A&M receive from the likes of Dupont, Bayer, Monsanto, and Scott's. And how much affect might that have on what they study, and what they publish in the way of findings. Just asking. By the way, the 25% of my yard that I only added compost to came along also. But it took significantly longer. So the organic material was the answer, the additives accelerated the process nicely.