It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:08 am 

There are several campaigns happening around the state concerning eradication of invasive non-native plants. My request is that people please be understanding and patient with these campaigns.

Some people have had these invasive plants in their yard for a while and like having them there. But, as a whole these plants can cause many more problems than they help.

Just a few of these plants are Chinese Tallow and Silk Mimosa.

All one has to do is know a little bit of history of Texas to get an idea of what invasive plants can do. A classic example, in the area that I live is the 'chinaberry'. A relatively short time ago, about 45-50 years ago, one could walk through our woods looking at all of the beautiful oaks and such. NOW, is a whole different story. You have to have a sharp tool like machette to hack your way through like being in a asian jungle.

So, to sum up, ladies and gentlemen, please be knowledgable about what you plant.

Thanks, so much, for your help. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:47 pm 

So,

What do you think of Mesquite and Bermuda. They are both listed as far more damaging than the species you listed. I mention this because I hear a lot of folks talk about bamboo as if it were uncontrollable, also. Do we outlaw the most earth friendly plant on the planet but let Mesquite deplete our aquifers further? Just wanted to challenge you a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:32 am 

First, I was only using an example and not meaning to single out just a few plants. Also, I was speaking from an area that I know extremely well. The vegetation you alude to is definitely a major problem and should be dealt with also. Just do a little research on how mesquite has taken over the prairies.

http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/sculptor/8.htm

As far as "the most friendly plant on the planet", I am not sure of which plant you speak. If you are talking about bamboo, bamboo is a very tough rooted invasive plant and can be very difficult to deal with...definitely.

The point is that there is not just one or two, but many plants that are changing our state...for the worse, in my opinion.