It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Irises
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:44 pm 

I am doing some re-landscaping. Part of this job is removing LOTS of iris plants and transplanting them. I am only about 1/4 of the way through removal and I'm running out of places I want to reuse them. Is there anyone who might want some?

Also will they grow in deep shade? If no one wants them, I might put them in an area very lacking in sun. I know they are drought resistant but what about too much water?

Again also, if anyone out there is an "expert" with irises please let me know. We may have some VERY old specimens. We have 500 acres that used to be small family farms many, many years ago. Their homes are gone but the irises they planted are still there! Our home in town I think also used to have an outhouse with irises because in a square pattern they bloom in our small back pasture.

Thanks 4 looking & 4 advice.

Post subject: iris
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:47 am 

Pam, can't help too much but here goes. They will grow in shade but they don't like it and will not bloom very well. As far as water, (opinion)unless they sit in an area that stays wet like a bog, they can handle moist areas since they grow at the top of the soil.

Post subject: your irises
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:06 am 

I would love it if you would ship me as many irises as you could. I would pay you for any packing material that you might need plus any postal charges and time that it might take you to do it. My email address is carhoods@yahoo.com

If you dont want to bother doing that it wont hurt my feelings any

Thanks for your post

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:27 pm 

My current overflow of irises are spoken for but I will keep everyone in mind who asks for them.

One of the problems I have with irises is that when planted in full sun all kinds of weeds grow up between the stalks. Is the solutions to this only to plant them in an area that can be mowed often? Also, can irises take lots of mowing? I know if you mow them down in the spring they won't flower for sure.

Those of you out there who have irises....Where are they in your garden? What special care do you give them? How much light, water, weeds do they get? Did you plant them or were they from previous owners?

Thanks everyone!