It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:26 am 

I am working on about 4 acres of lawn. My initial plan was to spread a compost/green sand/lava sand mixture this fall to get an organic program started. That plan went out the door when I received a quote for the materials and labor to apply them. New plan is to apply Medina Soil Activator at a rate of 5 gal/acre this fall, and again in the spring a couple of weeks prior to applying corn gluten meal. The spring application will also include aerated compost tea. It seems important to get these applications down fairly uniformly. Turf sprayers were a pretty common rental the last couple places I've lived, but it seems there is not much need for them in the Metroplex :wink: I will probably order one, but would prefer to rent one to keep the initial cost of our organic program to a minimum.

Post subject: Russell Feed and Supply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:31 pm 

I stopped at the one in Crowley today, but they have locations in benbrook, fort worth and azle. Here are some prices I gathered. While they have much more, I am a newbie and slowly learning and pricing all of this organic material. This is what I found.

Product Unit Price
Corn Gluten Meal 40 lbs. $22.99
Horticultural Corn Meal 50 lbs. $15.99
Horticultural Corn Meal 25 lbs. $9.99
Mollases Gallon $8.99
TKO Gallon $57.99
Other Orange Oil Brand Qrt. $16.99
Alfafa Pellets 50 lbs. $9.99
20% Vinegar Gallon $15.99

Today I made my first purchase toward creating my organic lawn. Just some mollasses and vinigar for some weeds. What is the most econimcal direction for one trying to enrich 1 acre to start on a path of lawn turf. I have read all of the how tos, and FAQ's. I have heard some use alfafa pellets in place of corn meal. Is this suggested? While I am not converting, I am starting off as an organic home owner. I have one acre, it is my first home. I just love all of the side benefits organic offers. I am learning and hopefully what I do now will create a rich, lush lawn in a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:12 pm 

MarcusnCrowley wrote:
Today I made my first purchase toward creating my organic lawn. Just some mollasses and vinigar for some weeds. What is the most econimcal direction for one trying to enrich 1 acre to start on a path of lawn turf. I have read all of the how tos, and FAQ's. I have heard some use alfafa pellets in place of corn meal. Is this suggested? While I am not converting, I am starting off as an organic home owner. I have one acre, it is my first home. I just love all of the side benefits organic offers. I am learning and hopefully what I do now will create a rich, lush lawn in a few years.

Great for you! :D
In reference to your purchases:
For weeds, the 20% vinegar is to spot spray. Add per one gallon of vinegar: 1 ounce of orange oil and a teaspoon of soap. (Mix well and shake often). Spray the mixture only on that which you wish to eradicate. Best results when applied in the heat of the day.

The molasses is best broadcast over the entire area and it is best to do so early morning or at dusk. I am more familiar with the use of dry molasses. (It is easier for me to determine the rate of application). This can be broadcast at 10 to 20 pounds per 1000 square feet. Be careful not apply it any heavier because it is possible to over-stimulate the microbial activity! You may dilute the liquid with water, but I am unsure of the dilution and rate of application. Be sure to keep it mixed well for a more uniform application.

As for the corn meal vs alfalfa pellets, what are you trying to accomplish? :? Both are good, mild fertilizers. (Corn gluten meal is a powerful fertilizer, but should not be used if you intend to plant seed within + or - 2 months of application).

It is important to have a diversity of grasses, groundcovers, plants and trees. Also, change what you fertilize with each time. Do you happen to know the history of the property? What may have been used on it? Is the entire acre to be turfgrass?

You are definitely right about the benefits of organics!
:D

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach