It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:02 pm 
Hi all. I am Robbie from Alabama. I have heard such wonderful things about the dirt doctor and have finally started to use this forum.
I have been reading about using diatomaceous earth for insects and also for feeding to animals. My question here is is there a difference in DE for use in control of insects and feed quality DE? I want to feed this to my horses. I dont know where to purchase the feed grade stuff if there is a difference. I have used DE for ants and stuff in my garden and around my home. Does anyone have information about this? Thanks, Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:20 am 

Robbie,

Your gardening is probably safe for the horses -- the stuff you want to avoid is the pool care DE, which has added chemicals. Check the bag closely to make sure it is pure DE, with no additives.

You might also check out http://www.a-b-c-plus.com/ -- they make a mix of DE and herbs that is very good for horses, we've been using it for years.

Judith

Post subject: DE vs DE
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:53 pm 

Howdy and welcome Robbie.

Judith has it spot on. Don't use the DE made for use around swimming pools. The sharp edges have been polished off. Just not try to breath in a large quality if it become airborn.

We buy most all of our DE at the Farm and Ranch Feed Stores around the towns here in Tx.

Your question is a two parter so I am going to move your post over to the Gardener Exchange so you get more review there than here.