It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Buckeye tree seeds
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:22 am 

Ok not sure if this was the right place to post or not but I will try this one anyway. My neighbor has a buckeye tree that is loaded with buckeyes. She had heard that you can plant these and grow a tree. My question is, how do you prepare the seed? If you let it dry out it gets harder then a rock. Do you just take it off the tree and plant is as is? Any help or links will be very helpful.
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:40 pm 

Hi Littleone,
You don't say where this tree is located. There are several different varieties of Buckeye. Take a look at this site and search under the common name to see if you can id which one.

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/index.htm

I also did a search at www.google.com and put in the search box:
propagation + Buckeye
and got over 2900 hits. You could also search using the botanical name once you have it.

Newt

Post subject: buckeye seeds
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:45 pm 

littleone-
You don't say where you are or just what kind of Buckeye, but Howard's new book says this about Mexican Buckeye: "The shiny black seed can be harvested beginning in late summer thru Oct. when the capsules turn dark reddish brown & crack open. After a short drying period, the seed can be planted into moist soil and will germinate within 3 weeks w/o pre- treatment. Seeds will germinate best in warm soil." Scarlet Buckeye says much the same but also that the 1st season wil be spent developing root systems. Same for TX Buckeye.
Good luck!
Plano Patty