It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pond Maintenance
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:45 am 

I am looking for help to solve an on going vegitation problem in our homeowner's association ponds. I have called Howard and he suggested getting grass carp or tilapia fish to control the vegitation, the problem with that is that a permit from the Texas Game and Fish department is necessary to purchase the fish. Long process and not possible if the pond has an overflow that can get into the water system. Ours does.

I called a fish farm supplier who said he was organic. He said the grass carp would help control the moss but have no effect on the plants growing at the water's edge. He said those are easy to control with ROUNDUP or another very toxic chemical. I said we didn't want to kill out the pond because of all the native fish, birds, ducks, turtles (however would like to get rid of some of those devils). The fish guy said to do a process of "wicking" the chemical only on the plants which would only put a few drops of the chemical in the water. I suggested the same process with 20% vinegar and he was very negative stating it would be too costly and take too long to get results. At that point I could tell we were not of the same thinking. He did suggest cornmeal tossed on the moss so I guess he has one or two organic bones in his body.

There must be a landscape company that can come out give us an estimate for a long term solution and preform the work. We need help. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:55 pm 

Try www.konderswindmills.com. A listener called in and said he had success in keeping his pond water clear with one of these windmills. You might also try Bio-Innoculant.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=hayes will give you more information which can help.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it works for you! Thanks!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:46 pm 

The web site that you gave me doesn't work. Could you send it again please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:02 pm 

http://www.koenderswindmills.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:23 pm 

Scott, thank you. Have sent them off an email. Appreciate any suggestions that can get the ponds in shape without Roundup!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:18 pm 

Scott-in-Texas wrote:
http://www.koenderswindmills.com/

Thank you! Typo issues can be a bother!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:20 pm 

monacarp wrote:
Scott, thank you. Have sent them off an email. Appreciate any suggestions that can get the ponds in shape without Roundup!

RoundUp will not do anything good for you, anyway. You can also try getting tilapia next year. They die when the water gets to 50 degrees, but if you get them in the springtime, they are ready for eating when the water temps drop in the fall. Good eatin' if you like fish. Not a real fishy taste to them, either. A rather mild but tasty meal.

There exists a tilapia farm in Stephenville, from what I understand.

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:12 am 

Nadine, thank you. Will check out the Stephenville farm to see if I can get fish from them next spring.