It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Permaculture Designer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:33 pm 

Does anyone know of a Permaculture Designer or Consultant in the North Texas area?

We are retiring from the city onto 30 acres with a quarry pond, part wooded (trash trees) and the rest is cornfield. We are planning to make this our home, with a small flower farm and airfield. But we are a bit overwhelmed about how to make wise decisions about where to put things on this undeveloped land and how to use and protect the beauty we found here. We are poised to build and plant good trees, but we want to minimize any mistakes by getting some insightful advice on the front end. I've been reading "Gaia's Garden" to learn the basics, but I'm looking for an experienced eye to consut.

Post subject: Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:40 pm 

Here are my humble offerings to aid in your quest.

First advice is scale back your program and decide what you want to accomplish and in what order. Set a timetable once you figure out your budget and then you can plan accordingly. That works best, in my experience, no matter how much or how little space you are working with. I've seen many a piece of land with too many unfinished projects...including my own. There is no better teacher than experience!

Tony M has done a beautiful job with his place, so hopefully he'll see your post and give you some input. I'd take his advice anytime.

Things to think about are:
1)Testing your Soil - This is important so you know where you're starting.
2)Sun Exposure - Watch what gets how much sun and when, and remember that it changes from winter to summer. Trees, no matter what kind, count. Remarkable how we forget this simple thing.
3)Water Sources & Irrigation - Existing and what you're willing to add. This will have a lot of bearing on what plants & program you eventually end up with.
4)Equipment - If you have that much acreage you'll need good equipment and most importantly, the right equipment. A simple tractor will do for starters, but what attachments...ah, that is the question!
5)Restrictions & Regulations - Amazing how these pop up AFTER you've made plans...and sometimes after you've spent LOTS of money.

Another source would be Holistic Resource Management. They have a website and they're not afraid to use it. Walt Davis works with them from time to time and is wonderful at this. He's excellent at helping people restore land to good pasture, and I wish he'd slow down long enough to write a book! (He keeps promising...) Let me know if you'd like to get in touch with him. He's available for consultation at a reasonable fee and will drive down from southern Oklahoma to your area. If you send me a private mail I'll happily put you in contact. He's the fellow who advised Marie Tedei on her pond problem, and that's just for starters.

There are others of us who can help with vegetable garden plans and perennial beds, Xeriscaping, etc. It all depends on what you want, and sometimes it isn't what you thought when you first moved in.

Good luck! It's gonna be fun! :lol:
Kathe :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:43 am 

Websites for the aforementioned Holistic Resource Management:

www.holisticmanagement.org/

www.hrm-texas.org/ :wink:

I do know of a guy in Austin. I am trying to get him to come speak at
a Denton Organic Society meeting. I will let you know if and when that will be. :)

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach