It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Itty bitty Norfolk pine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:38 pm 

I need assist. I purchased about 4 very small norfolk pines at Walmart after christmas. I planted them and they were doing okay. While visiting, my son's dog pulled some out of the pot. I repotted them and they continued to grow. I just noticed that the dog again pulled some out- probably this weekend. One had roots on the bottom but looks a little dry. It was laying in the pot on it's side, roots exposed but with all the rain we recently had, I am wondering if it may still be salvageable. If so, do I put it in water with root harmone or just put it back in the pot? The other had no roots so I cut it and am wondering if it is worth trying to save..or if there's any way to save it. Anybody out there have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:50 pm 

Trees are much happier in the ground. Norfolk pine doesn't sound like a good pick for around here, but I'm no expert. I did find this: http://www.floridata.com/ref/a/arau_het.cfm
Ignore their suggestion on staking.
The dog may have done you a favor. Trees usually come with too much soil covering the root flare. I would say this is true 99% of the time. Remove all the soil above the roots. If there are any girdling roots, cut them. It is difficult because you think you are hurting the tree, but actually, you are helping the tree. Search the library (on www.dirtdoctor.com) for "root flare" and or "tree planting.” I think the tree will be fine if you plant it properly. Do not put anything back in the hole (or pot if you are keeping it as a houseplant) except the same dirt (or same type if it is to stay in a pot) that came out of it. Make sure you soak the root ball before putting it in. It is impossible to plant a tree too high. Remember to plant with the root flare about 2 inches above the ground (or top of planter). The tree will settle some. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Last edited by Nadine on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: itty bitty norfolk pine
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:01 pm 

Nadine thank you for your response; it was most helpful but I mean itty itty itty bitty. Like it fits in a glass type itty bitty. I don't think root flare is an issue here because if I planted it with the thread sized roots exposed it would fall down immediately. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:07 pm 

:oops: Oh real itty bitty! I digress. I also edited my reply (above). You might need to find a higher spot for it since the dog thinks it's a toy!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach