It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:05 am 

Has anyone used a product named Bio Green on their Oak trees? What results? Our neighbors trees are infected with Oak Wilt and we want to do all we can to prevent it spreading to our trees. We have 40 oak trees around our house and can't risk loss of them.

Silent Valley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:46 pm 

Sorry, I've never heard of this product, but here are some thoughts on the issue:

Howard Garrett advocates the Sick Tree Treatment to prevent oak wilt. You can find details on this site, but it involves aerating the soil, putting compost on the root zone, etc. The idea being (much like with people) that a healthy tree will be more able to fight off infection. In fact this is the same logic behind most of what we do with organic+natural programs.

I was listening to John Dromgoole (owner of the wonderful Natural Gardener organic nursery here in Austin) this morning who said HG's sick tree treatment wouldn't help against oak wilt at all, and that the only thing to do to prevent it is trenching between trees. You would basically take a trencher or rock saw and cut a 4' deep trench between your trees and the infected trees to block a main route of infection (for live oaks anyway).

This is my opinion, but Howard Garrett's method makes a lot more sense to me. And trenching, in addition to being destructive and impractical, wouldn't do much good unless the trees are a great distance apart. The roots of our live oaks go out at least 90ft in some cases (say 3 times the radius of the drip zone), which means you could have 2 trees that are 180 ft apart and still could possibly have roots grafted together!

If the absolute answer is that an uninfected tree in root contact with an infected tree will get oak wilt no matter what, then I don't see how there would be ANY live oaks left, since even trees far apart can still be physically connected. And as HG has said, in infected areas some trees get sick and others don't... why?

I'm no expert, but I think having healthy trees is your best line of defense!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:40 am 
Not sure why the Tx Agri tells us to not have good and healthy live oak trees to help prevent our trees from dying so fast... One of the problems in recent times is the trees are dying because of their lack of health and the drought. I would think getting them as healthy as possible would be a good thing. Also, there is now a product out there that can save your trees from oak wilt...

dave
Tree Doctor