It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:01 pm 

We have a 24 year old red oak that puts down lots of acorns every year. Usually the next fall I just mow over any little trees that pop up. This year I decided to let the little ones grow and have 5-6 little tiny oak trees that have made it through the summer so far. I wonder what to do next. I am afraid if I leave them where they are the will get covered with falling leaved and trampled by fall/winter. Should I get them to a pot? Maybe transplant them now to where I would eventually like them and try to get them to grow there? Obviously they can survive whatever the weather will be, but what can I do the help them along since they are only half a foot tall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:09 pm 

If you're not certain where to put them. I'd pot them for a while, but not until they're large, such as the store-bought ones tend to be. If you DO know right where you want them, carefully transplating them in the fall would be best, then put mulch and a barrier of some sort around them so they don't get trampled.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:14 pm 

blohm
Yes, these little trees are tough but not tough enough to survive a transplanting this time of year. I would wait until the first heavy frost, dig a big root ball (12" across) and about 12" deep. Have an irregular shaped hole previously dug and deposit the little guys and gals in your new holes. Water the tree the first year. Place a stake near the trees so they don't get mowed until you are ready for the move.
I spoke with the manufacturer of earth worm castings the other day. He said he could double the growth of a new tree by spreading castings on top of the root ball. You might try this also.
Tony M