It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Another JapMap ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:33 pm 

I have what was originally a Japanese Maple "Threadleaf"(?) that amazingly enough had ANOTHER different type of JapMap(leaves look similar to small green maple leaves) seed in it, I guess. Now the new tree is taller than the original tree, but they are SO close together, can I successfully separate them and perhaps transplant them both to different locations :?:

Any advice greatly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:43 pm 

rg1701-
Are you sure this is a separate tree? Some of these trees are grafted and if a branch comes up below the graft or if one comes up from the root it will be the color of the parent root stock. In any case, I would not risk the good tree for an inexpensive sister plant by trying some separation proceedure. Cut out the sister or let them grow together for a great conversation piece.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:22 am 

Tony--Thanks! You are probably right--they just look so different! Anyway, I will probably just leave them together--kinda like siamese twins I guess! Another question though--IF I should ever move, could I take this with me? It was a gift and I hate to leave it!!
Thanks again,
Renee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:08 pm 

rg1701-
Are you asking if you have my permission to take the tree when you leave? Just kidding - you can take it but you may not be able to. When will you leave, 3 yrs or 30 yrs? How big will the tree get before you leave? How strong are you and what transplanting skills do you have? If you are serious about moving some day and want to take the tree with you consider putting it in a big pot this winter. You can always set the pot back into the landscape or you can keep it in a more desirable place and move it around to maintain its shape.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:59 am 

LOL--IF I do move, it will probably be another two-three years. The tree now is about 4 feet tall and I've had it three years. I like the idea of putting it in a huge pot though. You think it will be ok to do this winter?
Thanks, Renee :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:46 am 

Renee-
Thats the ONLY time to TRANSPLANT trees in my opinion. Howard Garrett had one in a big pot in his backyard for years. Last year the pot cracked and he put it in another. If you need any more specifics you could call him on the show this weekend.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:35 pm 

Thanks!! :D