It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: bur oak wilting leaves
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 am 

My bur oak leaves wilts. My theory is because of lack of water. this has happened before and when we had rain the leaves became health. now it is wilting again . so, do I need to water it? (actually it is being watering now as i type)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:46 am 

How big is the tree, if you planted it, when? Did you use the techniques that the DirtDoctor promotes (soaking the roots to loosen and straighten out of the pot, plant in native soil only, and make sure it isn't too deep in the ground?)

What kind of soil and drainage do you have? Where are you (is the tree native or well-adapted to your area)? Do you use chemicals in your yard (weed and feed, etc.) or are you organic?

Photos would help also.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:58 am 

northwestener,

Yes, I planted it correctly about 4 years ago.
If you look to the left, you will find out that I live Saginaw, tx and that I have been on this forum since 2005 and been organic longer than that.

The tree has been good health and am very please with it. in fact for the first time in its life, it has acorn "buds".

I am going to guess it was nothing serious but lack of water.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:57 pm 

The drought has certainly impacted a lot of trees. Last fall I lost a pecan in my "back forty" (feet, that is) of my yard, partly from being shaded, but mostly because I don't water on the other side of the fence. When the native trees are dying of it, you know it's going to be harder on the ornamentals, even those selected for xeriscape properties.

I also lost a vitex and some salvia in the yard (where they do receive water) over the winter because of the extreme cold. It has been a rough year in general even on the good-quality plants.

So few people ever put their location up when they join I'm out of the habit of looking to see if it's listed. I imagine there isn't too much difference between south Fort Worth and Saginaw as far as soil.