It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:30 am 

Hello all. I am considering adding a fruit tree to my garden. I just wondered what types of trees people had success with in the DFW metroplex.

I saw a Bonanza dwarf peach tree. Tag said it would get up to six feet tall. From what I found online, many people had success with this tree producing nice fruit. But would it do well in North Texas?

I've also heard that you have to pay attention to Hours of Chill per winter, for your area, in order that tree sets peaches.

So tell me, what kinds of fruit are you growing?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:33 am 

I have 5 Apple Trees, 4 types (two are Golden Delicious) in our back yard. They're a bit young but all have set at least some fruit last year. The varieties are Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Winesap, and Royal Gala. All are clear for zones 5-8. Dallas is in the upper end of 8 and where we live in Plano is in lower 7. I believe the line runs throgh Richardson somewhere.

There are a number of pears that should grow here. as well as a few cherries and such.

The thing to keep in mind is maintenance. Give them a foliar feed once or twice a month with garlic tea in the spring and some of summer in order to keep pest bugs away. Ladybug release in the early spring when the aphids are first active should keep them away from your trees. Early to mid-summer you may need to put some effort into keeping birds away from your fruit. Shiny reflective tape should do the trick.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:51 am 

Thanks Ent. Due to living on a small city lot, I was admiring the dwarf peach trees that Lowes has on sale just now.

They claim to top out at 7 feet tall. Looking on the web, Particularly gardenweb.com, I found people who had success with these dwarf peach trees. But they all seem to be in lower zones than 8.

About fruit in general, it seems you need to meet certain conditions in order to set fruit. I know this applies to apples. And I know you need a certain number of "Chill Hours" for peaches to set fruit. Dragonfly wrote on the Fruit and Veg forum to tell me that she has peach trees.

I think for less than twenty dollars, I just might try a dwarf peach tree!

Thanks for all the help,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:42 am 

Well I've taken the plunge. I've purchased my Bonanza peach tree from Lowes. Christina was looking on the Fruit and Veg thread, saw my post and located our "Chill Hours" in North Texas for me. 651 in Overton Texas. I'm assuming Richardson, Texas will have a bit less due to the city surrounding. This should do fine with the Bonanza peach that asks for 250 to 500 Chill Hours.

I'm excited, and can't wait for the results: Spring blooms, lovely weeping foliage, and best of all ... PEACHES!

If I ever do manage any fruit, I'll let y'all know.

Thanks for all the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:36 am 

I forget the actual number of chill hours, time spent at 45 degrees or below, but I do recall that last I checked we seem to get well over the needed amount to set apples here.

Keep in mind that their first Apring in the ground or even their second they are likely to bloom but not set much fruit, as the tree is 'digging in' to its new home. After that, all things being equal, each Spring should get better and better.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:46 pm 

The biggest problem I have had with any fruit trees is an occasional tendency for late freezes. They bloom beautifully each year, and on some years, bear lots of fruit, but late freezes are a real bugger. In the city, you will probably not have much of a problem with this, but we are west of the DFW area and in a low-lying area, and our temps easily reach ten degrees lower than in the city. Other than that, I love having fruit trees on the place. The plums make a particularly pretty tree and get to a good size, and keep a great shape. Peaches tend to be lower growing, wider trees, but produce such a lovely fruit treat. I may try some apples this year. It's one of the fruit trees I have not tried planting. Any recommendations on varieties besides red and golden delicious? I would like an apple that is firmer and less mealy, used for cooking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:35 am 

Dragonfly, personally I love Winesap. Gala Apples are nice, as are Honeycrisp or HoneyGold.

Macs are good for cooking, I believe.

There's even a tree called a 5-in-1 done by a grower that is a specially grafted tree that has 5 varieties and pollinates itself. It grows Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, UltraMac, Red Rome Beauty, and Lodi.