It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:30 am 

The Hanging Tree

The largest oak on my lot is a hanging tree.
It is half on and half off the bank of a small creek in Matagorda Co.
Probably blown down in the 60's possibly by Carla the tree has a whole new "tree" 18" in dia. growing directly over the edge of the embankment out of an original limb.
Limbs of the original are beautiful and drape 40 ft. out over and or into the water. The "new" tree is 25' tall and of good shape. The water is brackish. A revetment or bulkhead is to be built at the waters edge. Looking at the tree from the water one can see 2' to 3' up under the tree from water level to the bank surface. It has been undercut by years of water flow.
Should I trim the tree limbs hanging out over the water? Some will have to be cut for the revetment. The limbs are up to 20" in dia. How do I handle the exsposed roots? I want to save this tree. It is beautiful as is.
The revetment will form a wall 3' from and around the wet side of base or root ball 2" high. What to do.
?? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:47 am 

Sounds like you're between the proverbial rock and hard place.

Basically all you can do is damage control. It'l have to be cut for them to do the work, but try and make sure the cuts are good ones that heal properly. Once the work is done, if you see any sick areas in the cuts, tree trunk goop those and just apply the sick treatment to the area in general. Your best chance for it to make it is to make sure it has the right support to promote recovery from shock.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.