It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Redbud in trouble
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:49 am 

My Redbud started the spring seemingly fine, leaves covering it but now it has lost all the leaves and only has the pods hanging. There has been no change to the habitat as far as treatments, mulch etc. The spinkler zone it resides in has had no change in watering time or frequency since we purchased the house 2 years ago.

A recent visit from the local arborist was not helpful as he said the tree might be getting either too much water or not enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:33 am 

How often does the sprinkler come on to water it and how long does it stay on?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:52 am 

Sprinkler comes on every other day and that zone runs 25 minutes. There are two shrub spray heads that water within the drip zone. The tree is about 12-15' tall and the trunk is about 4.75 in dia at 18". This tree has been where it stands for 6-7 years and the sprinkler system timed as it is for 3 years or more.

I did have the system off for part of the spring (rains) and would water only as needed. They system has been on Auto for only a few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:33 pm 

Well, I hope someone can offer you better info than I but all I can say is that I doubt that any tree (unless newly planted) would need to be watered every other day. Not even your grass needs to be watered that often.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:45 pm 

I agree with your philosophy. Strangely enough I had a sprinkler guy out last summer to look at my system, including how it was programmed and was surprised he thought it was set up alright. This professional came recommended by a landscaper who agrees with that philosophy too. The project of reprogramming my controller is on my list of things to do.

That being said, the Redbud didn't have a problem last summer when the system was programmed as it is now.