It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Chlorine in Lawn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:02 pm 

I am so distressed and need your help. :x

My neighbors decided to empty their above ground pool into my back yard
today. I confronted them before they emptied the entire 5-6000 gallons. I was angry and let them know that they compromised the organic program I have been practicing for the last 7 years. We have a big pecan tree in the back yard, tomatoes, grass, etc. and the ground was saturated with water.

The guy says he is sorry, then goes on to explain that chlorine breaks down fast and that there will be no harm to our yard, plants, etc. I am afraid that my yard is going to be sick now. Please tell me the real story.

Is my grass and tree going to die from poisoning?
Are my tomatoes ok to eat?
How does one detoxify for chlorine assuming that it is a problem?

Thanks,
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:10 pm 

I totally feel your pain and anger from stupid non-organic gardeners!
The real truth is chlorine and chlorime used in watering systems actually diffuses very quickly into the atmosphere, not the soil. Yes, it does kill many beneficial microbes. However, in a high organic, soil system, it recovers very quickly. In just a few days and weeks, based on how much organic matter and new aerobic microbes you add to your soil, after the accident.

I would recommend sprinkling all your soil areas, with lots of dry molasses powder and/or fish emulsion or compost tea, to build up the microbes fast. Then you could add corn meal to add more protein/nitrogen, plus it will build up beneficial fungi in the soil.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:00 pm 

Thanks much! I will do as you suggest to build the microbial activity once again. The good news is that the lawn is not discolored after 24 hours. So, hopefully this "neighbor" was lacking in diligence regarding pool maintenance like adding chlorine, as he is in decency to neighbors.
Regards,
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:18 am 

I don't believe there will ever be enough chlorine or chlorime in swimming pool water or faucet water, to discolor any plants.

Because chlorine diffuses so easily and so fast into the atmosphere, that is why watering the lawn or garden, is not ready a big deal in a well managed organic garden.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: Re: Chlorine in Lawn
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:52 pm 

Bob,

From your profile, I don't know where you live but there are city ordances that cover the discharge of pool water.

Next. His home owner's insurance should cover damages and repairs. Be firm, but nice, and ask him for the name of his insurance company. If nothing else you'll get his attention. :!:

For a compromise, ask him to bring in and spread a 1/2" of quality compost for your lawn and that he pay for the replacement of any damaged plants.

He may learn something from all this and perhaps joins the organic way. :D