It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:06 am 

It's hard to figure pounds and square feet for my scattered, irregular perennial planting beds (of heavy clay in DFW). Besides compost, I think I should use corn gluten meal and dry molasses (at least). I've read that they will work better if I mix them in the spreader - right?.

Question is - how much to spread, to follow Howard Garrett's recommendations. Do I want just a light dusting, or until the soil is barely visible, or maybe an inch deep?

I've never used a spreader before - do they all mostly work the same? Is it one pass with the spreader, or 2, or 5 likely?

Or, can you spray liquid molasses and is that easier? In what kind of sprayer? Do you dilute it with water?

Then if I use Texas greensand, should I use the spreader? How much minimum should I use?

Thanks; I love this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:31 am 

meggie,

Welcome to the forum.

How large of an area are the beds you working? If it is a planting bed, I wouldn't normally think of using a spreader. I handcast my products in my planting beds.

Assuming you are going for 10-20 lbs of product per 1000 sq ft, measure out the desired amount of product (initial application 20 lbs/1000 sq ft) and apply. You will soon get the feel for the amount of product to be applied. Hopefully your beds are heavily mulched right now, so you probably won't even see the product.

Not all spreaders are the same. The drop and the broadcast are two common types. I believe most people here would prefer the broadcast style. It "slings" products to all sides providing, IMO, a more even application. Here again, even all broadcast spreaders are not created equal. Using the control, normally located on the handle, you will need to adjust the opening of the spreader to release the desired amount of product to the designated area. It doesn't take long to figure this out.

When applying molasses to larger areas (lawn and larger planting beds), I prefer to use the dried variety. I use liquid molasses for watering potted plants and two smaller planting areas. Sprayers for the liquid variety can be a hose end sprayer, a trombone sprayer, or a pump up. If, you already have a sprayer you are already familiar with, use it.

Greensand did not pass easily through either of the broadcast spreaders I have tried. I ended up hand casting mine. I have since read on the pages of this forum that if you combine greensand with corn meal, humate or other dry material both greensand and lava sand will pass through a spreader much easier. The benefit, of course, is the reduction of labor of spreading materials.

Post subject: spreadin cgm
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:52 am 

Just a tip; When you spread Corn Gluten Meal, be prepared for a dusty mess all over your legs & feet. There is a pellatized version but it is still dusty and some people say it doesn't work as well. Either way, try to spread on a calm day. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:01 am 

Do you have a specific reason to use corn GLUTEN meal instead of corn meal? You can save a lot of money just using corn meal.

I like liquid molasses because I know exactly how much I have. The easy way to distribute it is with a hose end sprayer. I measure my area, then figure 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet, add the proper amount to my sprayer bottle, fill the rest of the way with water, and spray until it is all gone. Also dry molasses tends to turn into solid brick molasses in a bag if you don't use it all.

Corn GLUTEN meal will go through a drop spreader just fine. You will have to make at least 2 trips around to get 15 pounds per 1,000 square feet.

Greensand must be hand scattered as far as I know. Maybe mixing it with corn meal would work to allow both products to flow through.

Post subject: spreading products
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:47 pm 

I have a Scotts broadcast spreader. To get 20# per 1,000 sq. ft. of corn gluten meal, set it at #12 to #14. This should apply to other spreaders of this type. The main problem is clumps which clog the spreader. If you break them up before spreading, you should have no problem. A piece of old broom handle comes in handy if the spreader clogs while broadcasting. Molasses spreads great with a broadcast spreader if it is dry and very loose in the bag. If it is clumpy or sticky, use something very dry like corn meal or corn gluten meal to mix with it before putting in spreader. I have a small cement mixer that I use to do this. Something else I noticed with stuff that doesn't spread well (clogs), don't fill the spreader all the way to top. Fill it about 3/4 full. It seems that the weight of the product tends to add to clogging problems.