It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:12 am 

I've never even used a rototiller before, but we will need one for our one acre, new building lot of heavy clay. And we will probably hire someone to do the labor (since we're older, bad backs, etc.)

So, what kind of tiller should I be looking for? Where can I rent it - we'll need it in Cedar Hill.

How many square feet (of pretty virgin clay) can I expect someone to do in say 4 hours?

Should I do one pass with the clay, then spread the amendments, then do the final pass(es)?

And I'm told that for buffalo grass sod I can get away without tilling if I use something like Medina activator - would you agree?

Thanks all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:34 am 

meggie,

My question is why do you want to till an acre of land at all. Much less with a walk behind tiller. What is your desired goal? Planting beds or lawn leveling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:42 am 

Remember, this is a new building lot full of heavy, cracked clay. I want to till it to loosen the soil and add the right amendments - so I can have a fabulous, low maintenance, low water use landscape. I plan lots of large perennial beds, and a fair amount of shrubs, and buffalo grass sod.
Thanks for your advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:52 am 

meggie,

You may get differing opinions, but IMO tilling an acre of land for lawn preparation is not efficient. For the lawn areas if you could get someone to set the proper grade of the lot and then add your ammendments would be much quicker and equally effective. If you wanted, you could follow the grading with a core areation, but that would be as far as I would go. I have never tilled one of my lawns, but as a kid I do remember helping my Dad till our family's front yard. What a mess!

My beds have never been tilled with a traditional tiller. I applied lots of organic materials and mulched. The next year I was able to use a garden fork for planting. I know their are others on the forum who have no till beds. Hopefully they will add their experiences and endorsements.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:08 pm 

Using a walk behind tiller for an acre of dry cracked clay would be physically brutal. I agree with Mr Clean on this. If you still want to rent a tiller most of the equipment rental places rent them. I think there was a United Rentals in that area. Might check phone book under equipment rental.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:53 am 

I won't be a shy about my suggestion.

ARE YOU NUTS? :shock: I hate tillers anyway, but you'll kill a normal man with an acre.

Your general contractor should have hired a finish grader for you. The very last step in a building is for the finish grader to come in and, according to the architect's plan, finish the landscape. He will have a small tractor with a backhoe and tines. His job is to ensure the landscape drains water away from the buildings. The Federal Housing Authority has rules that all the finish graders know and follow to keep the rain from flooding your house. He will use the tines to loosen 8 inches deep and mix any amendments you want at that time. Then with the hoe he will smooth out the entire area leaving it perfectly flat and ready to drop sod on. An acre should take a day to do and cost maybe $600.