It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:51 pm 

I was so tickled with the excellent results I had with Mr. Garrett's suggestions about compost tea soak pre-planting, I was hoping that I could use the same corms next year. Can I lift and store them and re-plant them next season? If so, what is the best time to lift them? Can I store them in the same temperature (about 60 degrees Farenheit) as where I store bulbs? They were so pretty this year I would love to have similar colors next year...
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:34 pm 

I'm glad they did well for this year but it's best to start over every year. Check that. Where are located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:15 am 

Mr. Garrett - the caladiums I am talking about are located on the north-west corner of my house in near North Dallas (south of LBJ, in the middle of black gumbo clay dirt country) that receives a good 5-6 hours of sun daily during the growing season. That particular bed is one I have been working with for years to get it "organically grow-able" with repeated doses of compost - and lemon balm and caladiums are really the only bedding plants that I have been successful in growing there. The earthworms love that bed, so I figure I have done something right...
I don't mind buying new corms at all...knowing now that I can get the less expensive ones that will grow magically to huge, beautiful plants with a little love in the shape of compost tea...
Thanks!