It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:18 am 

Does anyone know the difference between ground corn and horticultural cornmeal? Do they provide the same health benefits in the soil? If not, what are the differences?

Thanks......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:12 am 

Soil wise, there just ain't that much difference to the soil/composting microbes and the earthworms. All grain organic matter is great for composting and for the soil.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: CORNMEAL
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:14 pm 

From what I understand, horticultural cornmeal is the outside of the corn grain rather than the whole thing. This might make it better according to Howard. I don't know, never tested it. I use horticultural since it is usually cheaper and easy to get. Not everyone can get regular ground corn and I would worry about what chemicals were on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:33 pm 

The two are completely different. Most cornmeal in grocery stores is nothing but the starchy endosperm. Whole ground corn is the exception. It would function as Horticultural cornmeal which is ususally as KHWOZ said the outside of the kernal - the bran, germ, etc. Some companies are calling their products horticultural cornmeal but the aren't necessarily.

Post subject: cornmeal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:41 pm 

Howard, you are the MAN! 8) Go Howard, Go! Love your radio show, etc. :D Now for a more serious issue, you say that some companies sell what they call horticultural cornmeal but it is not! :evil: How do I tell the diff? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:27 pm 

Watch the channel 8 segment on that page of our web site. Regular cornmeal and horticultural cornmeal look completely different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:07 am 

Thanks for all the responses, although I'm still not sure what the answer is. Let me state a more specific question. Does groung corn provide fungal control like horticultural corn meal? I have found a feed store close to my home that has ground corn. This ground corn is not as finely ground as the horticultural cornmeal that I have puchased in the past. The feed store does not know the difference between the two.

Thanks

Post subject: cornmeal
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:19 pm 

I'll try to be clear this time. Whole ground corn and horticultural should both provide the same general benefits. Horticultural cornmeal will do it with less material applied to the area. It has more punch per pound because it is the outside of the kernel instead of the whole thing. You mentioned that the ground corn was rather course. Would birds, squirrels, etc. eat most of it? I would go with horticultural but that is your call.