It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: what to plant ??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:36 pm 

I have a 7 foot strip by 25' that is between my house and a fence. I have one long narrow row approx 3' wide in this space.
because of the location, it only gets about 4 hrs sunlight on the soil per day. (It gets sun from about 11a to 3pm.) I have tried planting vegetables, but they get leggy as they look for sun. What should I consider planting in that location ? Any Suggestions ?? Should I look at small fruit trees or herbs or flowers? I appreciate any suggestions.
pr

Post subject: Re: what to plant ??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:47 pm 

If you're looking for edible plants that will grow in that reduced sun herbs, peppers, Swiss chard come to mind. And lots of flowers.

You said your tomatoes are leggy, but do they produce fruit? My plants get more sun but they're also leggy - I think this is simply a common attribute of tomatoes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 am 

Vegetables need 6-8 hours of sun to produce. A small tree would have to be planted at least 6 feet from your foundation and a fruit tree is not very small. Again it will not produce with little amount of sun. Where do you live? Can you come by North Haven Gardens in Dallas t talk to one of the Garden Advisers?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:23 pm 

You can only eat so much Swiss chard, so I don't know how much you'd want to plant, but mine is growing happily in a fairly heavily shaded spot in the garden. It doesn't grow as fast as in the direct sun, but it also doesn't suffer that horrible mid-day wilt, either. A friend of mine told me of chard being used as an edge plant around gardens at the Dallas Arboretum - that sounds beautiful - but it is also quite delicious.

Peppers also grow a little slower, but they do grow. My best plants don't get sun after 3pm, and my so-so plants in the front in more shade produce nice fruit but at a slower rate. If I paid more attention they might do better, but the point is, they do grow. And there are lots of herbs that will grow in a few hours a day direct sun. The lemon balm in my back yard only gets afternoon sun and grows like crazy (it escaped from a pot and has been prolific back there ever since.)

You can grow garlic, though you won't get very large cloves, and you can grow onions. Just don't try for the plants that have their highest production in the high heat and bright sun of summer (okra, eggplant, etc.)