It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:28 am 

The Asplundh company is trimming trees away from the power lines near our home. They mulch the trimmings on site. I asked what they do with the material, thinking they probably sell it. NOPE! They DUMP it wherever they can so I asked them to leave it for us. We may end up with 10-20 cubic yards of hardwood mulch. Yippee! I guess Living Earth Tech will miss us. :(

The Lesson: Don't be afraid to ask. They were very nice to me. We have 3 acres and four horses and they didn't mind putting the mulch exactly where we wanted in the pasture for storage. By the way, most of the tree trimings are from our property border so I know the tree material and that it has been organic for four years!

I just wanted to share and encourage other cost conservatives to be on the lookout for great gardening materials.

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:05 pm 

Thanks for the great tip. At first I was thinking you were going to tell us we could get free mulch in your town. That'd be a drive! One I look forward to making again hopefully in March!
How is the clover and the cemetery doing?
I have photos of our initial efforts if you want to see them.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:44 pm 

Hi Nadine,

The clover is definitely coming up. Also, I think the humate is taking out that weed you discovered around the church building.

I was thinking about how to not use any weed killers. Maybe we can use some of the recommended buffalo grass along the edges of the graves. Since it stays fairly short this might work well. Also, I believe it should spread so that would be good too.

We have plenty to share but I didn't think it would be worth the drive. If we have some still in March you are welcome to it. I can't believe they don't "do" something with this material.

I'd love to have the photos.

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:48 pm 

Nadine,
How did your pictures of our road trip to Malone turn out? I would love to see them, if possible. I sent mine to Kathe and asked her to share them with you. Not many turned out, because the batteries died. Is it possible to have a special area of this forum where pictures can be displayed, like these from our trip, so others can see and hopefully convince the non-believers that organic is the ONLY way to go?