It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: it' about time!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:31 pm 

hello all.i have good news from my area(south louisiana).while pricing worm castings on the net & grumbling about the shipping cost which i do quite often because of the lack of organic fertilizer sources in my area,i was given a newspaper article.lo & behold,i'm now able to buy castings locally!seems some local folks are in the business & will sell in bulk quantities.spoke to them on the phone & hope to meet with them soon.just had to tell someone who knows where i'm coming from.now if i just had a dump truck....revg62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:24 pm 

Congrats.. Not only are you happy, but the whole organic community is happy with and for you. I guess it is just a matter of time and there will be organic distributors in most every locale. Where abouts in south Louisiana are you?

Keep up the good work and don't ever stop promoting organics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:55 pm 

gar,i'mabout 10 miles southeast of lafayette.been organic for about 5 years,nothing big,yet.just vegetables,small tractor & a 5' X 10' trailer i haul eveything i can get my hands on,leaves,manure etc.i've developed quite a network just by asking & being polite.most folks don't mind if you drop by with a bag of cucumbers long after they've forgotten about whatever they were throwing away anyway.the best explanation i've had so far about the absence of organic fertilizers is that we're in an area dominated by the petrochemical industry.i've learned to get what i can locally,grow cover crops & make do with what i've got.going to try compost teas this spring,read lots of good things about them.enough about me,dreaming of spring...revg62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:16 pm 

You willl be suprised how much better your garden will do when you foliar feed. I planted 6 tomato plants last year and only got 3 tomatoes. Kathe Kitchens, on the forum, convinced me that foliar feeding will make the plants produce so much more and better. . I bought a 1 gallon sprayer and proceded to make a batch of compost tea. It was fall but the tomatoes started to blossom and turn red. I bet I got at least 10 or pounds from each plant. I had so many I was giving them away to the neighbors. I like you, collect my neighbors cut grass and add to to the compost bins. I can't seem to convince them to mulch the grass and leave it on the lawn. In turn I give them vegetables out of the garden. This year, I am gona start foliar feeding much earlier. Suspect I will have to buy a freezer to freeze the vegetables for the winter. I was shocked at how the plants did so much better with the foliar feed. Some times I will feed twice a week. I make 5 gallons at a time.