It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:28 pm 

What effect will using stones as a ground cover have on the soil?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:44 am 

Budkeone-
I've never seen an adverse condition by using stones as a ground cover. What I have seen is people using landscape fabric or plastic under the stones to block the weeds. It doesn't work long term and it messes up the biology of the soil. Worse yet, if weeds start growing up through the stones they spray a chemical herbicide. Consider using crushed decomposed gravel several inches thick. It looks nice and is beneficial. Also, don't rule out cedar or hardwood mulch as a ground cover. The contrast to grass gives a nice appearance and you can spice it up by installing garden art like benches or birdbaths.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:08 pm 

Bud:

Tony has it right on.

I put down about 2" of decomposed granet, then added flat river stones and filled in the space between them with more granet. Stones should not be larger than your hand. Stones help keep out the weeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:12 am 

Also consider that stones will get hot and make the area hot if it is in full sun where a mulch like cedar or cypress will not be hot. A little stone is okay, but too much gets too hot in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:57 pm 

I grew up in the California desert where many homes (including one of ours) were landscaped with stones. What a pain!! They may deter weeds but they don't prevent them at all. Once you get weeds growing in the stones, what do you do? You can't mow or hoe. You don't want to use RoundUp. Spraying diesel isn't terribly bad for the soil but it stains the stones to an ugly brown. We just let the weeds grow.

Since you're starting from scratch, you could try several inches of a relatively small decomposed granite and see how that goes. If it gets weeds you can still hoe them. If not, you could cover that with stones in a couple years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:46 pm 

May not be the approach you are looking for. However my parents put down sheets of some kind of tarp or covering. Then they put gravel and stones all on top of that. The occasional weed shows up on top but not often, and they are easy to pull up out of the gravel. They cut holes in the covering to put plants in some areas (enough room for upper ground roots to breath also).

Or in several areas I have put down MANY layers of newspaper around the base of my plants. Then came back and topped that with mulch, and some leftover fishtank gravel.

I do know that the hot little stones are wonderful resting places for butterflies. If indeed you want to attract them.

"Somewhere in the yard, let fresh water accumulate to support communal "mudpuddling" so butterflies get soil salts and minerals as well as moisture. Finally, butterflies like some flat stones for basking or sunbathing, to gather warmth to power their wings".
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/greenline/ ... 03.03.html

Post subject: Butterfly Link
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:26 pm 

cynthiac wrote:

I do know that the hot little stones are wonderful resting places for butterflies. If indeed you want to attract them.

"Somewhere in the yard, let fresh water accumulate to support communal "mudpuddling" so butterflies get soil salts and minerals as well as moisture. Finally, butterflies like some flat stones for basking or sunbathing, to gather warmth to power their wings".
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/greenline/ ... 03.03.html

Cynthia,

Review the "greenline" butterfly link and it has great information. Many things I never thought of before like your "mudpuddling".

I'd suggest you include it a post over at the "Insects" forum to draw interest. After all, not all insects are not bad guys.