It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: mosquitoes -
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:16 pm 

I practically drenched myself in the vanilla, orange oil mix to keep mosquitoes away and went out this afternoon for 30 mins. and I have no less than 100 mosquito bites right now. Any other suggestions???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:33 am 

Ck this link from the home page. The vanilla doesn't work on everybody.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=1033

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:40 pm 

Have you done the dry granulated garlic or the Dr T's Mosquito repellent yet. I did the crossword puzzle outside the last 2 mornings with no problems and we had tons of mosquitoes before. The vanilla works but for some reason not for everyone. I have also seen evidence that the new Plant Wash product works as a body repellent but it may have just been a fluke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:42 pm 

Products that contain geranium oil work the best on me. "Quit Bugging Me" is one product and "Bite Blocker" is another. "Quit Bugging Me" comes in a liquid spray form and a lotion form. The lotion lasts longer and is great for skin. The liquid is good for spraying on clothing. Get and do both! Mosquitoes will bite through clothes!

For skin, you can mix peppermint essential oil with sweet almond, grape seed or other body oil to keep them away, too. For clothes, peppermint oil mixed with alcohol. Try a 1 part peppermint to 3 parts alcohol to start and see how it works for you. Make it stronger if needed.

Always be careful of eyes and other sensitive areas.

I've also used orange oil. I would not advise using it if you are allergic to and/or are afraid of bees. After applying some once, a bee landed on me, but I did not mind. I remained calm, left him alone and he did not sting.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:06 am 

After being attacked on my AM dog walk, I finally mixed up the water/orange oil/vanilla spray. Used REAL (expensive!) vanilla. The next AM I was SWARMED! Viciously attacked! :( So count me in w/those who this method does not work on. Maybe I should have used more orange oil...

And I've recommended this to tons of people-on another forum too.

Gonna try to find the 'quit bugging me' that Nadine suggested.

Patty

Post subject: mosquitoes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:58 pm 

thanks for your advice. I'll try the Quit bugging me or Bite blocker. Now, however, mosquitoes aren't even my main problem. I have chigger bites and I must say they are MUCH worse even than mosquitoe bites. We have a green area with trees behind our house where I've planted ground covers and made paths, but with all the rain and since I was attacked by chiggers, haven't been down there at all. We have to spray something, I don't know what exactly, for chiggers before I can work back there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:36 am 

Get some powdered sulfur. Even home depot has it.

Put some in an old sock & tie a knot. Dust it on your shoes, sox, ankles, waist. It works like a charm!

You can spread it around the yard too but will not be good for beneficials, so we just powder ourselves.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:51 am 

Tricky Grama wrote:

Put some in an old sock & tie a knot. Dust it on your shoes, sox, ankles, waist. It works like a charm!

You can spread it around the yard too but will not be good for beneficials, so we just powder ourselves.

Patty

I knew this was a great thing to do to keep from getting chiggers, but never thought about using it for mosquito repellent!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:33 am 

Tricky Grama wrote:

Patty

Actually, this was supposed to be the answer to the chigger problem. Since we're talking skeeters here too, on another site someone said they mix sulfur w/ordinary lotion & keeps the skeepters off...haven't tried that. IF I have the powder on my ankles, shoes, etc, it does seem that skeeters don't bite there.

Patty