It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:49 am 

Hi, all

Several years ago I bought a plant from a lady at a garage sale near Houston. She called it an "air-conditioner plant," and said I should plant it near my air conditioner. We didn't get around to talking about the "why" of her recommendation, though. But I did as she said, and now the plant is almost head high, and I've begun to wonder what it is.

I'm a little graphics-challenged, or I would simply post a picture. So I'll start with a description:

It grows from a single stalk and has very distinct palmate leaves on single stems out from the central stalk. The "fingers" of the leaves are very finely shaped - almost like the shaped pickets of a picket fence. The leaves are dark green. The plant loses all its leaves at first frost, but returns reliably every spring, growing taller each year, even here in North Texas. It has never bloomed (that I can tell,) nor has it suckered or in any way propagated itself.

Perhaps later I can get my husband to help me post a photo.

Any help would be appreciated. It's not an emergency, just curiosity about a plant I've pretty much taken for granted for so long. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: myster plant
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:53 pm 

Could it be a Tansy (spelling??). It is said to keep ants away from electrical sites (AC units). Really don't know; sorry.