It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:05 pm 

:? :? I am in the middle of a move and must leave my gardens behind. I have two purple crepe mrytles (bush size) that were a gift from a friend who started them from a cutting. They have been planted in my garden for two years. I would like to take these with me but I am unsure of the right way to do this. New leaves are just now beginning to show (March). I will not be able to actually plant them in the ground for another 6 months. Is there any suggestion on how to best solve my dilemma?
Joy Riddle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:33 pm 

This is probably the worst time to transplant them but these are hardy plants so give this a try.
Wet the plants throughly a day or so before the dig. Go to a nursery and beg or buy the big 20-30 gal used plastic containers. Using a sharp-shooter shovel, dig a root ball almost as wide as the bucket. Roll it to one side while you slip some burlap under the root ball. Tilt it the other way and pull the burlap up the opposite side. Get 2-4 people to lift the plant using the corners of the burlap and place it into the container.
Keep it out of direct afternoon sun and water before it dries out. I would foliar feed with a Garrett Juice type mixture every two weeks. You should be able to keep them this way for years.
Tony M