It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sick goats
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:12 pm 

Our Spanish goats are doing poorly, and the vet said it is due to parasites. Can anyone tell me how to worm them organically, and how to treat them for external pests, such as lice. Our nanny's are kidding right now and having a tough time. Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Sick goats
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 pm 

I believe they use diatomaceous earth as both internal and external treatment for parasites and lice. It has to be the agricultural grade, not the swimming pool grade.

How many goats are there? Is culling an option? There are some cattle producers who cull their animals that get sick and at least one that culls the ones that have flies. After some judicious culling they end up with very healthy biology in the herd.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:44 am 

Natural diatomaceous earths vary a great deal. Most of the untreated natural products are OK, the one I have found to be superior is DiaSource and comes from Oregon. It is still hader to find in feed stores and garden centers because the OK stuff is already there and people are reluctant to change, even when there is a better way to go. Some goats will eat free choice at just about the right amount. When mixed into the animals supplements, it needs to be used at about 2% of the total intake by weight. Some ranchers add seaweed, humates, sea salt and other amendments for even more help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:26 am 

After they are dewormed you may want to be sure and rotate your herd as that will lessen the possibility of the goats getting worms. Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:55 am 

We throw DE into our Pygmy goats' feed every now and then to help them stay parasite free. We haven't really been measuring too much, just use a little scoop that is about a cup and throw it in. Haven't had a problem yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 am 

I am a long time lurker on the forums.

Herbal wormers do work!
There are many places that sell them.
I buy mine from Fiasco Farms.

After a three year experiment with my goats I have come to this conclusion;
DE alone cannot cope with the parasites, but with the herbal wormer you have a two hit wonder.

I mix kelp and DE 50/50 by volume and give free choice.
What I have seen is healthier goats overall and a huge decrease in fly problems.
I used to buy fly parasite at least twice a year before. I haven't had to since using the DE kelp.

If the parasite load is very heavy then you might have to use a chemical wormer to start with, then switch to herbals once they are cleared up. I don't like it either but sometimes the herbals can't quite cut it.
A neighbors calf died of unknown causes, I did a post mortem and found severe parasite infection, piercing all internal organs, in some places they had come through the skin.

Parasites can be overcome!
Never quit attacking, because they will never quit either.