It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:19 pm 

I'm sure that with as many members as there are here someone can help with my question. I'm looking for someplace near the metroplex where I can buy organic raw cows milk. At a later date, I will be looking for goat milk. I am going to be making some small amounts of home made cheese. I understand that there are several dairies and co-ops near the Sulphur Springs area, but I would really like to find someplace closer to the Dallas/Waxahachie/Corsicana area. Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:00 am 

First I wanted to make you aware that buying or selling raw milk in the state of Texas is illegal though some progress has been made over the past few years in this area. We do have a couple certified producers now, but you must buy directly from the farm.

I personally would not drink milk or give it to my family if it was not raw because I believe the health benefits of raw milk are exceptional and that drinking homogenized, pasteurized milk actually causes health problems. For more information about this, see the Weston A. Price Foundation website, http://www.westonaprice.org, who is promoting education of people on the benefits of a healthy diet including raw milk and trying to make it more available to people. We have several local chapters here in Texas; there is a link on the website listing them with contact information. They would be able to give you more information about sources of raw milk closer to your home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:44 am 

After receiving your reply to my original post I did some research. I was able to contact the Texas Department of State Health Services in Austin, and spoke to Mr. Gene Wright, manager of the milk and dairy division. According to Mr. Wright it is in fact not against state law for consumers fo obtain raw milk. He stated that most milk producers have contracts with buyers that preclude them from selling to others. He did indicate that there are some producers that may sell Grade A raw milk to individuals and producers can obtain a permit from the State to allow them to do this, but they are not allowed to sell raw milk commercially. I'm hoping to obtain a list of Grade A raw milk producers near the DFW area. I know there are obvious potential health concerns from consuming raw milk, but I'm intending on making small amounts of home made cheese such as mozzarella, which obviously requires heat. A temperature of 80 celsius (176 F) for 5 minutes will kill harmfull pathogens, but my research is ongoing. I'll post an update if I can get further information if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:30 pm 

I cant wait until you post your list, I was just talking with my wife about getting raw milk and dont know the first thing about getting it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:17 pm 

Dear Scythicon,

Raw milk has very limited availability in Texas for those who do appreciate the benefits of consuming raw milk. And again I must state, I think there are obvious potential health concerns from comsuming pasteurized, homogenized milk and thus I only drink milk if it is raw. I would personally not talk with the government or dairy industry to learn more about those benefits or sources just as I would not talk to Monsanto to learn more about heirloom seeds or organic farming practices.

For those who would like to learn more about the truth behind pasteurization and the milk industry in the U.S., an excellent book is the UnTold Story of Milk by Ron Schmid.

Dear Mwoolf,

If you are interested in learning more about the health benefits of consuming raw milk, please go to the Weston A. Price foundation website, http://www.westonaprice.org. Our local DFW contact is Dr. Ken Taylor, drtaylor5159@yahoo.com who might be able to help you find a local source close to your home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:48 am 

Good link for raw milk info:
http://www.realmilk.com